Theme Time 34 - Christmas
You know you want Bob Dylan’s recipe for #FiggyPudding. Enjoy!
For those who either can’t hear the audio, don’t want to click, or for those who are having issues.
Here’s what he had to say:
“Figgy pudding originated as a porridge in the middle ages. In the 16th century it became known as Plum Pudding. Now we call it Figgy Pudding.”
Bob Dylan’s Recipe for Figgy Pudding:
- 4oz Plain Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 4oz Bread Crumbs
- 4oz Shredded Suet
- 1tps Mixed Spice
- 1tps Baking Powder
- 3oz Dark Soft Brown Sugar
- 8oz Chopped Dried Figs
- Finely Grated Lemon Rind
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2tbsp Milk
- 2 Beaten Eggs
Sift flour and salt together, then mix with all the remaining dry ingredients.
Add the figs, lemon rind and juice, milk, and beaten eggs. And then beat them well.
The mixture should have a soft dropping consistency.
Put into a greased 2 pint pudding basin. Cover securely and steam for 3 hours.”
I have no idea what the man means by “soft dropping consistency”.
Apple Pie Bread Pudding
a Love & Confections original recipe
Apple Pie Bread Pudding Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar, separated
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 6 Eggs
- 1 large loaf of crusty Bread (Italian or Country)
- 5 small Apples, or 3 medium Apples
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 4 cups hot tap water
Apple Pie Bread Pudding Directions:
- Combine the Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Allspice and set aside. Cut the Bread into inch-sized cubes and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, scald the Whole Milk but do not bring it to a boil. While the Milk is heating, crack the Eggs into a large bowl and whisk vigorously with 1 & 1/2 cups of Granulated sugar.
- Once the Milk is warm, slowly pour into the Egg and Sugar mixture while whisking constantly (called Tempering, so the Eggs don’t curdle/scramble). Once all the Milk is added, whisk in 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of the homemade apple pie Spice Mix.
- Place all the bread into the large bowl so it can soak up the mixture. You can toss it with a spoon and press down to make sure all the bread touches liquid. Leave it to “soak” for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 300F. Wash and dice the Apples into 1/2 inch cubes. I prefer the skin on for an added texture, but you can peel them if you do not like the skin. Place the apples in a bowl and add the Lemon Juice, the rest of the Spice Mix, remaining sugar and stir until the apples are completely coated.
- Using a 2.5 quart Corningware or deep casserole dish (or if you prefer, individual portioned dishes) layer the soaked Bread and the Apple Mixture in 5 layers, beginning and ending with the Bread.
- One of the most important steps when making bread pudding is to use a water bath, or Bain Marie. Place a large dish or pan (big enough to fit the casserole dish and about 4 cups of water) on the rack in the middle of your oven. Place the casserole dish inside and then add the water - this is the easiest way so you don’t create a big mess by moving the already full water bath into to oven.
- Cook for 45-55 minutes. The top will look slightly crisp and the bread should be moist, but cake-like with no excess liquid around the edges. Very carefully, and if you can, take the bread pudding out of the water bath and let it cool slightly before eating. If you can’t grab the casserole dish, take both containers out of the oven and let the water cool, until you can get the casserole out of the water bath. Again, please be careful, because the water bath is extremely hot!
- Best served warm with either vanilla ice cream or homemade Creme Anglaise
Spotted Dick Recipe
- 1/2 cup mixed currants and golden raisins or other assorted dried fruit
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- Suet pastry dough
- Custard sauce
- Special equipment: 1-quart ceramic pudding mold
Link to Recipe (Opens in new window.)
© 2012 Condé Nast. All rights reserved
Look, MA! NO CAN!
Bread Pudding Tart with Brown Sugar Crumble
blissandzen replied to your post: Since the new editor took over, Bon Appetit has gone rapidly downhill.
pecan bourbon butterscotch bread pudding - five word orgasm.
Here’s a link to the recipe. Look at this deliciousness! You best believe I’ll be making it some time this fall.